The flu is a highly contagious respiratory illness caused by the influenza viruses.
The flu usually comes on suddenly. People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:
- Fever or feeling feverish/ chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Some people may experience vomiting and diarrhea
The influenza vaccination can help protect you from getting the virus. People at high risk of serious flu complications include young children, pregnant women, people with chronic health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, or heart and lung diseases and people 60 years and older.
Here are some things you can do to stop the spread of germs and protect yourself this flu season:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Discard the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
Flu shots are available throughout the year at Mayflower locations. Please call our offices at Covina Office Phone Number 626-331-2209 for more information.