When flu season arrives, everyone is at risk. This highly contagious virus causes a respiratory illness that comes on suddenly, hits hard and can have serious complications. Young children, pregnant women, people over the age of 60, and people with chronic health conditions or compromised immune systems are particularly at risk.
Your best defense is taking preventative measures. At Mayflower Medical Group, our clinics offer flu shots all year round. Contact one of our locations (link to locations) to schedule an appointment.
While a flu vaccine can help protect you from the virus, it’s not foolproof. In addition to getting a flu immunization, we recommend these measures to help prevent the spread of the virus:
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Discard the tissue in the trash after you use it.
You may have the flu if you have:
- Fever or feeling feverish/ chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Possible vomiting and diarrhea